Sunday, May 18, 2008

I Have Another Son!




Yes, it's true .... this morning confirmed what's already been in my heart. When we traveled to Ethiopia to bring home our daughter we gained a SON as well. While he may never experience sitting around our dinner table here in our home .... we plan to love and support and encourage him from afar in every way the Lord allows us to.

While visiting the Kolfe boys orphanage, I was on a mission to deliver a package for the Mestas family. My heart was also open and ready for whoever the Lord might allow us to visit there. It wasn't long before we were touring the complex and we stepped into a room where a couple of young men were studying. I will never forget seeing Getahun for the first time ... tall, dark and handsome he was. He took a break from his studies (Physics I should add!) to meet us and talk with us awhile. We learned that his parents along with his sister are no longer living. Our time there was much too short. Now looking back there are so many things I'd love to have sat down with him and visited about. He has plans to become an engineer. He is not hindered by his circumstances and is working hard in his studies to prepare for his future.

We gave him our contact information and while I've thought of him MANY times since our return home, I hadn't written him yet. This last week I was able to be in contact with Ryan to inquire about this young man who stole some of my heart. We were SO excited to learn that Ryan is working on a sponsorship program for these amazing boys at Kolfe. I'm sure there will be more news in the future about this.

Anyway, so you can maybe imagine how thrilled I was this morning to receive an email from this most amazing boy across the world. He called me mom, so I guess the feeling is mutual. :)

6 comments:

solas4me said...

We never know what way God will take us on our journeys. How amazing!
"A man's heart plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps."
Proverbs 16:9


Justin
"A Darling Life"
solas4me.blogspot.com

Eileen and Jerry Mestas said...

Sweet Sister,

CONGRATULATIONS!! PRAISE THE LORD!!Welcome to this wonderful world of KOLFE SONS!! I pray we can grow our "Family of KOLFE BOYs" to the hundreds. I pray every one of them will get a family to love and sponser them. God is so amazing...I am so thrilled for all of you...May this be just the beginning...

In HIS Timing & Care,

Eileen

Kimberly Baggett said...

i am in tears, truly! my heart is broken for these boys but rejoicing with you that you have gained a new son! my heart is so ready to see my children and to love on all the children there! i cannot wait to meet these precious boys and young men and see how the Lord would use us towards helping these boys! congratulations! you have received a rich and precious blessing!

Melissa said...

This is so amazing, funny where life leads us! Many blessings....

Melissa

Angie said...

WOW! That is so great, Shelly. I loved Getahun and his beautiful shirt too! :) I'm going to email you about the sponsorship program. I wonder if Gad has a mom? :)

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

Well, I al have to say is...tears.....How beautiful!